Director of Nursing - Full Time
Under the general supervision of the Chief Clinical Officer, the Director of Nursing (DON) is given the necessary authority and responsibility to operate the Nursing Department in all functions and activities subject only to the policies and procedures issued by the governing board. The Director of Nursing’s primary responsibility lies in organizing and directing nursing and ensuring the delivery of quality patient care. This position is required to use independent discretion and judgment with respect to supervisory and management decisions and recommendations. This position is required to be accessible 24/7 and have accountability of clinical service departments.
Apply Here »
- Patient Care Services
Establishes and maintains the highest standard of clinical care for all hospital patients.
- Lead discussions with physicians, nurses and allied health staff regarding clinical care delivery.
- Facilitate clinical thinking at the bedside.
- Ensure clinical decision making and patient care delivery supported with evidence and practice standards.
- Review patient feedback, identify trends and share with staff.
- Ensure the safe delivery of care for all patients.
- Participates in development and implementation of hospital fire, disaster, utilities, security, medical equipment, evacuation plans.
- Assist with hospital-level program development.
- Staff Management and Development
Write and deliver annual staff evaluations.
- In collaboration with Human Resources (HR), oversee recruitment processes and ensure they are adhered to in a timely manner. Communicate with HR regarding open positions and assist with recruitment of nursing staff in order to provide adequate hospital staffing.
- Manage and develop Nursing Leadership/Professional Council.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring all staff have up-to-date competencies, certification, and registration.
- Communicate organizational and department priorities to staff.
- Available on call 24/7. Arrange for appropriate coverage when unable to be on call.
- Business and Financial Operations
Develop annual Nursing Department budget.
- Present on Nursing Department financial performance against allocated budget.
- Prepare monthly budget and productivity variance reports.
- Draw correlations between performance key clinical indicators and financial impact.
- Assist leadership (Governing Body, medical staff, administration) in financial and strategic planning for the hospital.
- Quality Improvement
Ensure Nursing Department remains in compliance with hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Identify key performance improvement opportunities.
- In collaboration with Chief Quality & Compliance Officer, develop quality improvement projects.
- Obtain interdisciplinary buy-in for execution of quality improvement projects.
- Embed evidence-based protocols to advance key indicators.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies governing health care delivery and the rules of the accrediting bodies. Review and promptly act on reports and/or recommendations from regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Review nursing practices in order to maintain hospital licensure and accreditation.
- Review incident reports. Monitor for potential trends or other possible problems and/or concerns.
- In collaboration with Safety Officer, implement and maintain Patient Safety program.
- Daily Department Operations
Strategically anticipate long-term workforce needs.
- Ensure rostering meets service demands and is cost-effective.
- Manage process glitches, interdepartmental or ancillary problems.
- Resolve concerns and /or conflicts between patients, patient families, staff or external customers in a professional, proactive and courteous manner.
- Active involvement in Quality, Infection Control, P&T and Medical Staff Committees.
- Keep hospital leadership apprised of risk management issues or areas of concern.
- External Relationships
Serve as hospital representative in its relationships with outside agencies and vendors.
- Attends and/or serves on professional/civic service organizations as a hospital representative.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum two years direct care experience with leadership experience.
- B.S. in Nursing preferred
- Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas.
- Must be certified in AHA BLS and ACLS