Materials Manager -Full Time
Under the supervision of the Administrator/CEO, the Materials Manager is responsible for managing the hospital’s supplies and equipment. The primary function of this position is the purchasing of hospital supplies, inventory management, and delivery of supplies. This position is responsible for the fiscal responsibilities associated with the purchasing and documentation of the equipment and supplies of the hospital.
Apply Here »
- Manages all departmental operating activities so that quality purchasing services and Materials Management processes are provided in an efficient and effective manner, meeting all applicable regulatory agencies and corporate guidelines.
- Investigates and responds appropriately to all complaints and takes effective corrective action when necessary.
- Work with appropriate departments to reduce supply costs via reduced waste, minimizing loss to expiration, standardization, lower-cost alternatives, etc., while maintaining quality.
- Responsible for maintaining GPO or local contract compliance. Works to standardize supplies within the facility and controls the introduction of new products.
- Assure that proper procedures are followed for purchasing supplies and bringing new items into stock.
- Establish and maintain relationships with vendors and work with them to ensure contract compliance with pricing and resolve issues regarding deliveries (missing or damaged items, etc.)
- Efficiently procures through the use of purchasing requisition, capital expenditure request, and purchase orders, on all supplies and equipment for the hospital per purchasing category methods. Obtain Admin approval for all P.O.’s.
- Assures interdepartmental compliance in the proper use of purchase requisitions provided by Materials Management/Purchasing Department.
- Facilitate supply purchases to maintain appropriate stock levels for all departments.
- Maintain supply order sheets (hard copy or electronic)
- Maintain asset tracking information.
- Perform cycle counts and inventory spot checks as needed.
- Maintain count sheets for physical inventory.
- Conducts physical inventory as scheduled by corporate finance. Coordinate physical counts with all departments requiring physical inventory.
- Run pre-count reports, key inventory counts after inventory audit, run post-count reports, analyze before and after results, work with departments to resolve inventory issues.
- Work with vendors and suppliers, appropriate department Managers to resolve backorders and plan for expected shortages when possible.
- Understand AP’s guidelines for GL assignment for all items.
- Works with Accounts Payable for reconciliation of invoices and monitors all purchase orders closely to resolve invoice issues/discrepancies.
- Supervises the labeling of patient chargeable versus non-chargeable to assure proper billing of patient supplies.
- Supervises all shipping, receiving, warehousing, general stores and supply distribution to assure accuracy and efficiency. Processes items for shipping via FedEx, UPS, USPS or any other approved shipping services.
- Manages and act as a liaison between departments and Biomedical Services to assure medical equipment in the facility complies with the facility equipment management plan.
- Investigate all recall/field correction notices and take action as appropriate, including reporting all received notices to Quality Assurance and necessary departments as needed.
- Acts as an oversight on the sterilization process that involves disinfection equipment such as endoscope cleaner and autoclave.
- Assists in the planning and budgeting of the hospital for future acquisitions.
- Monitors and reports supply expenses based on established methods to administration and finance team.
- Utilize hospital software to track purchases and inventory movement to and from departments, expired/wasted goods, samples, etc.
- Use software reports exported to Excel to review usage, case cost, etc. as needed or requested.
- Submits charge master/charge code request form for approved new product to corporate accounting department.
- Works with corporate revenue dept. and Business Office as needed to ensure proper coding of charge master items/procedures.
- Run routine month-end reports and review for possible problems.
- Ensure that scheduled maintenance and safety checks are completed as scheduled.
- Responsible for processing defective biomed equipment for repair via biomed services or warranty service provider.
- Maintain maintenance and/or repair records on all equipment.
- Arrange for all new equipment to undergo proper Biomed/safety checks prior to being placed in service.
- Assumes responsibility for professional educational development to ensure appropriate knowledge of advances
- in the profession of purchasing.
- Maintains purchasing Material management documents which meet DNV standards.
- Develops and maintains departmental policies and procedures on an ongoing basis and updates as needed.
- Attends and participates in all hospital management training and development workshops as scheduled by the hospital.
- Identifies personal and professional areas for improvement and actively seeks out ways to meet hospital developmental need.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Minimum two years’ experience in health care materials management
- Prefer additional two years in a leadership role
- Associates degree preferred.