Pharmacy Technician - PRN
Under the Director of Pharmacy’s supervision, the Pharmacy Technician will fill routine orders for unit doses, prepare pre-packaged pharmaceuticals per demand, and demonstrate proficiency in delivering care to the assigned age-specific patient population.
Apply Here »
- Demonstrates the ability to work with the Administration team and nursing staff effectively.
- Review and provide cost analysis for medications on pre-admission evaluations.
- Ensures medications are available upon admission.
- Follows procedures to order medications via the wholesaler/vendor to include, but not limited to: Ordering on-contract / least expensive; reconcile and sign invoice upon receipt.
- Reads and interprets physician orders.
- Manipulates pharmaceuticals in preparation for dispensing.
- Exhibits appropriate equipment usage necessary for compounding, preparing, labeling, and dispensing drugs.
- Maintains Pyxis according to best practice to include, but not limited to: stocking appropriate quantities, checking expiration dates; rotating stock; loading medications; establishing par levels; checking return bin; resolving discrepancies.
- Processes orders, prepares, monitors the use and administration of medication therapies in the hospital as required by applicable laws and regulations, and accepted standards of practice.
- Maintains a clean, organized pharmacy at all times.
- Counts, packages, and labels unit doses for inspection by a pharmacist to fill recurring orders for non-prescription pharmaceuticals.
- Assists pharmacist as directed, including filling orders, preparing labels, and computer-related work.
- Assists with IV preparation and delivery. Follows USP 797 / best practice guidelines.
- Logs controlled drugs delivered to the pharmacy, put away, and rotated stock as needed. Completes / signs DEA 222 form upon receipt. Completes/signs all Pyxis reports to include, but not limited to: discrepancies; delivery, return, and refill.
- Prepares and makes deliveries to patient units and ancillary departments.
- Checks for bulk items in blue-bin or refrigerator for a refill.
- Removes medications from patient blue bins/refrigerator upon patient discharge.
- Reconciles IVs and medications not administered before printing IV batch.
- Reconciles any medications not given via Refill list.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required to include, but not limited to: temperature logs in Pharmacy and Nursing stations; IV hood cleaning; controlled substance use; discrepancy reports.
- Presents ideas to improve services and efficiencies.
- Prints and distributes daily Pyxis / Ascend reports to appropriate departments/individuals.
- Updates drug database from invoices.
- Performs monthly medication area inspections.
- Processes recall notices.
- Complies with state regulations and national standards as they apply to the pharmacy.
- Communicates and collaborates with other clinical service departments to achieve cohesion and effectiveness.
- Participates in monthly staff meetings to ensure appropriate information is reported and communicated.
- Communicates operational concerns and needs to the Director of Pharmacy when necessary.
- Ensures there are no “unknown” drug descriptions in Pyxis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prefer one year of hospital experience.
- IV Certified
- High School or equivalent.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT), Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- Certification must be registered with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP).
- Pharmacy Technician Trainees must be registered with the TSBP and pass the PTCB exam within 90 days of hire.
- IV Certification.